This is a used amp. It has been tested and gone over by the experts at our shop to ensure it’s working properly and is free of issues, unless otherwise noted in this listing. Please see pictures provided and the notes below for condition and wear. It will be packed with care to be shipped to your door! If you have any questions about this or any other piece of gear we have, please let us know and we’ll be happy to help!
– Condition: 9/10
– Any wear of note: There’s a couple of light scuffs. Mainly on the bottom edge and top left corner. But it’s in overall really great shape and full working order.
The Mercury V reinvents a long-standing Carr platform to deliver snarling Marshall-esque British tones with a highly evolved feature set and surprising versatility. From thick cleans, to punchy midrangey crunch, to wailing roar, it’s all here with attitude to spare. Rendered in a supremely portable package and able to nail all reduced-volume requirements, the Mercury V brings stack-like sonic thunder to the rehearsal room, studio, and club stage.
In 2003 Vintage Guitar magazine’s cover story declared the original Mercury the ‘Tone of the Gods.’ Its bigger brother the Mercury V now configures that directivity and touch sensitivity into an even more fully-featured, breathtakingly versatile design enabling a broad range of gain structures, voicing capabilities and output levels to tackle just about any genre or playing style.
Based on a pair of 6V6GT power tubes for a full-throated 16 watts, the Mercury V harnesses an ingeniously original preamp circuit featuring dual Volume controls (for High and Low voicings), a three-position Boost switch, and a three-knob EQ stage to kick out a dynamic range of distinctly English tones. The results included everything from pushed ’60s cleans, to chunky ’70s rock, right into’80s and ’90s crunch and singing leads, and even scorching high-gain sizzle. The internally paired High and Low channels can be run in parallel like a jumpered four-hole classic, or switched to cascade in series, taking the gain levels off the charts and into the 21st century.
An onboard attenuator—Carr’s forte—can be switched in to take the firepower anywhere from 4 watts down to a mere whisper, and there’s a post-power amp Line Out to send it to the PA or into your recording interface for tracking. Add lush tube-returned spring reverb, and there’s a wealth of multi-dimensional tone packed into this remarkably compact combo.
It’s all put together with the top-quality parts and construction that Carr is famous for, including in-house crafted dovetailed solid North Carolina yellow pine cabinets, military and NASA-grade power supply components, and trenchant mid-Century signal elements rendered in true point-to-point wiring.
Mercury V — from a whisper to a roar, and scary good all the way.
- 16 Watts full output —- (Perfect Power)
- 3 Position Boost switch – British 60s thru 90s output tube overdrive – (Authentic)
- Dual Volume controls – Classic Parallel or Modded Series toggle- (Big Stick)
- Built-in switchable attenuator 16/3 to 0 watts- (Ultra Useful)
- Analysis Plus and Transparent cable – (Super Conductive)
- 3 Band Tone Stack – Treble, Mid, Bass – (Control)
- Recording/PA Line Out – (Effective Communicator)
- Celestion Creamback M-65 12”speaker – (Pistonic)
- Custom Carr Transformers – (American)
- All NC yellow pine cabinet – (Wood)
- Spring/Tube Reverb – (Aquatic)
- 2) 6V6 4) 12AX7 – (Trusted)
- Construction: Hand wired point-to-point in the USA
- Components: Custom USA made transformers, Solen Fast Cap Film Power Supply, US-made Jupiter signal capacitors, carbon comp resistors, and more
- Power: 16 watts
- Channels: One (with two blendable Volume controls)
- Tubes: four 12AX7, two 6V6GT
- Controls: High and Low Volume, three-way Boost, Reverb, Treble, Mid, Bass, Attenuator, Line Out
- Switches: Parallel/Series switch, three-position Boost, Attenuator in/out, on/off/standby
- Features: All-tube spring reverb, Boost switch, built-in attenuator, 8-Ohm speaker out, line out
- Cabinet: Hand-crafted from solid pine, dovetail-jointed and uniquely styled
- Speakers: Celestion Creamback M65 12″
- Weight & Dimensions: 1×12″ combo 21″ (W) x 17″ (H) x 9″ (D at top, 10″ at bottom), 40 lbs