This is a used pedal. It has been tested and gone over by the experts at our shop to ensure it’s working properly and is free of issues, unless otherwise noted in this listing. Please see pictures provided and the notes below for condition and wear. It will be packed with care to be shipped to your door! If you have any questions about this or any other piece of gear we have, please let us know and we’ll be happy to help!
– Condition: 8.5/10
– Any wear of note: Some light dings and scratches here and there but nothing major. The “Distortion” knob was switched out at some point. In overall amazing shape besides that.
THE BENCHMARK IN GUITAR DISTORTION
The DS-1 Distortion is a true icon in the world of guitar effects. Introduced in 1978, BOSS’s first distortion pedal defined a bold new sound, delivering hard-edged attack and smooth sustain that’s been a staple of players for generations. The DS-1 is the top-selling BOSS compact pedal ever, and its original, unchanged design continues to inspire the creation of great music everywhere. The classic DS-1 tone is behind the signature sounds of numerous rock legends, and is ready to fuel your own signature sound today.
- Legendary distortion used by guitarists everywhere since 1978
- Classic tones for all types of music
- Hard-edged attack remains clear even at maximum distortion settings, ideal for heavy rhythms and cutting solos
- Works great as a booster at low distortion settings
- Unique tone control offers a wide range of sound shaping
- Doesn’t mask the unique sound characteristics of different guitars, pickups, and styles
- Turning down the guitar’s volume cleans up the tone without introducing muddiness
Before the DS-1, most distortion pedals produced harsh, buzzy tones and muddy sound at high gain settings. In 1978, BOSS engineers changed all that by developing a unique distortion circuit for the DS-1 that produces tight, hard-edged gain with rich harmonics while retaining the unique characteristics of different guitars and playing techniques. Hard rock, metal, and punk styles began to flourish in the ‘70s and ‘80s, and the DS-1’s tone had a defining influence on these genres. That trend has endured through multiple generations, and players around the world continue to seek out the classic DS-1 sound.
Powerful Tone Shaping
Unlike typical tone controls that only cut highs, the DS-1’s tone circuit features an innovative design that offers far more range. Turning the knob clockwise increases highs and decreases lows, while going counter-clockwise has the opposite effect. This lets you dial in everything from tight, cutting rhythm sounds to smooth, fat lead voices. The tone control is particularly effective for maintaining low-end definition when using the DS-1 as a booster with vintage-style amps, which often sound muddy when driven with other distortion pedals.
Gain from Mild to Heavy
From its modest three-knob interface, many different sound colors can be coaxed from the DS-1. Its pioneering two-stage circuit incorporates both transistor and op-amp gain stages. This approach is critical to the DS-1’s characteristic low-frequency fullness, which is loved by guitarists that play heavy music genres. The distortion knob offers an extremely wide range, from a mild boost for driving amps and pedals to full-throttle gain for monster rock riffs.