Compact Tone Press in mint turquoise.
The Barber Tone Press: Tone and Sustain with “Plug and Play” Performance.
Bringing together the very best of classic guitar compression and time-honored recording techniques. The Barber Tone Press is a revolutionary performance compression pedal that has no rival…
A remarkable Tonal Breakthrough: How We Did It
In research and development, Barber studied the problems associated with classic guitar compressors and their recent clones and found that, while the clone-makers build pedals with improved components (cleaner switching, in particular) and matched transistors, a few of the major drawbacks of those “vintage” designs still exist. The most glaring drawback of popular classic compressors is that they reverse the guitar’s phase and cause a “pop” that squashes the attack at the beginning of every note. Although we now see some compression units that have attack controls, they leave a bit to be desired as they require seemingly endless trial and error tweaking , and still no true solution to gracefully removing the artificial pop when striking the strings.
Parallel compression is the solution. a Barber innovation that is more natural than dealing with attack, ratio and release knobs. Barber developed a unique continuous “blend control” circuit, and combined it with a discrete “Class A” FET mixer circuit to allow you to continuously blend the natural signal of your guitar with a “phase-corrected” classic compression circuit. The result? What guitar players have always wanted, unaltered attack with supernatural sustain and resonance. No studio engineering degree required.
Our blend control can give from 100% dry, to 100% compression mix, so you are not limited to only “50/50” (half blend). Some of the best parallel compression sounds are achieved with very high sustain settings and more than 50% dry-blend. There’s little point to a parallel compressor than can only take you half way there!
There are 2 additional toggles one for “speed”, which adds a new “fast” mode which is perfect for percussive playing without loss of attack. There is also a “Brilliance” toggle which adds a very subtle and polished sheen to the treble frequencies.
- Precision components- Panasonic supply capacitors and metal film resistors for low noise.
- True bypass switching with led indicator- this is achieved by using an high grade switch, in addendum Solid 20 gauge copper hookup wire is used between the jacks and switching to create a transparent bypass.
- Full size pots- for durability and for easy serviceability if needed.
- Cast aluminum enclosure-our incredibly durable enclosure will last a lifetime!
- Double sided pc board with plate through holes-This is the way the military does it when they want electronics to work FOREVER! all pedals should be made this way , few are.
- Elna silk particulate audio caps, Panasonic and Wima film caps. Enhanced circuit with 2-3db increased available output to help match higher output pickups.
Tune in… The Matt’s Music crew will share our experiences with you!Matt’s Music Blog.
Call 781-335-0700, Email us or use Live Chat to place an international order (outside the US, Canada and US Minor Islands).